• Has very few stems; it has both basal leaves and leaves along the stem. The upper surface of the leaves are rough and the leaf blades taper to a fine point. The seedhead appears spine-like and appears white with a reddish tint.
• Livestock will graze white tridens, but this grass never makes up a large percentage of the plant community.
• Is considered an increaser on most sites; its abundance indicates fair range condition.
• Adapted to sandy to sandy loam soils, but grows on clayey soils if moisture is adequate.
• Prefers areas that overflow occasionally.