• This shortgrass has a seedhead of two or more sets of windmill-like branches.
• Leaves are primarily basal with the blades and sheaths flattened.
• Flowers May to September
• Reproduces by seeds and tillers
• Livestock will graze this plant in the spring to early summer.
• Quality is moderately high but the production is low. It is not a choice forage plant, but is important as an indicator of fair to poor range condition.
• Adapted to a wide range of soils; best adapted to acid to neutral medium and coarse textured soils.