*This item is not for sale and listed as a plant library product for educational purposes only.
• An important rhizomatous grass that grows in the cool season.
• Leaf blades are folded and resemble the keel of a boat at the apex.
• Seeds are on a narrow congested seedhead.
• Male and female plants grow separately. Male seedheads are smooth, while female seedheads have hairs.
• Growth starts in the fall; foliage stays green all winter if moisture is available.
• Becomes dormant through the hot summer months.
• Reproduces from seed. The seed produced in the spring germinates in the fall.
• All livestock readily graze this grass for winter forage.
• Adapted to sandy and sandy loam soils of grasslands, margins of woods; not in disturbed areas.