• Tall, robust, bunchgrass and is an important grass of the “True Prairies.”
• Seedhead is a large open panicle that opens with seeds borne on the tips of the branches.
• Large, flat leaves have a triangular patch of hair near the base.
• Strongly rhizomatous.
• The ligule is a dense ring of hairs.
• Forage value is good until the plant matures; all kinds of birds eat the seed.
• It is adapted to sandy soils of Texas, and the wet, acid soils of east Texas.
• It will grow in loams and clay loam soils if the water relationship is good.
• Tolerates flooding for short periods.