• This strongly rhizomatous grass is stiffly erect.
• Leaf blades are rough textured. The seeds on the spike-type seedhead overlaps the next by one-half their length.
• Appears blue-green in color, growing in colonies.
• Produces new growth from axillary buds at the basal nodes of the stems and at the rhizomes.
• Becomes dormant during the hot summer months; greens up in the fall if moisture is available.
• Reproduces from seed and from rhizomes.
• Valuable forage for livestock and wildlife.
• Valuable winter forage.
• Grows best on clay loam soils. Also adapted to well-drained bottomland soils and tolerates alkaline and saline conditions.